St John’s Church, Downshire Hill is a Grade 1 Listed church originally built in 1824.
An under-croft was formed to create a new hall, which opens into the re-landscaped garden beyond. The West façade restoration required a historic paint analysis in order to be appropriately repaired. The existing pews were retained in a different format, running along side of the worship area in three rows leaving a clear large central space where seats could be provided.
To obtain suitable lighting levels in the worship area, special modern chandeliers providing downlights to the seats and uplight to the vault were required.
“Thanks to the creation of this space, St John’s is among the most beautiful and useful of all London’s churches” Rev. Jonathan Gould
Completed in November 2004